Wednesday, January 17, 2007

132 Mee Pok @ east coast road


Now, this stall is pretty famous, and one has to queue for at least 40 minutes to get a bowl of this delicious mee pok.

I sometimes wonder if one finds the food so delicious only because of the inordinate wait, which causes one to be ravenous by the time the food arrives. And as we all know, when one is hungry, everything tastes good.

Well, this fish ball mee pok dry was excellent, with the right amount of chili, sauce and lard (with the crunchy lard bits too). Generous portions of fish ball, prawns, pork slices all tossed together with the al dente noodles (SGD3, 4 or 5). It tasted good even though it was tar pow (ie brought back home in a takeaway bag, rather than eaten fresh at the stall). Mee Pok, a type of flat noodle, is best eaten dry methinks, as it goes well with the sauce that is ladled on it.

It is pretty good, but I don't think I would like to queue for it myself.


You know, I still think that the best fish ball mee pok (dry with little bit of chili) is at the hawker stall downstairs from my Por Por (maternal grandmother)'s flat at Commonwealth Crescent. I can't even remember what it tastes like now, but I sure remember enjoying every moment of eating it with my Por Por. She would give me extra fish balls from her own bowl, and blow on my mee pok to make sure it wasn't too hot for me. I can't eat fish ball mee pok dry without thinking of Por Por.