Thursday, September 13, 2007

Marutama Ramen @ Central

I've been to Marutama Ramen (Central Mall, #03-90) before, but DH hasn't. So when he proposed date night (ie that he and I go out for dinner, without Cutie), I suggested this place.


DH had the signature Marutama ramen (SGD12) while I ordered the Aka ramen (SGD15).


The Aka Ramen (SGD15) contains springy chicken balls, some strips of seaweed, some chopped spring onion in a tasty slightly tangy stock made with 7 types of nuts. I ordered this with some trepidition as it contained coriander and I didn't like coriander all that much. If the coriander was minced and cooked as part of the stock, I would be doomed. Fortunately, it was just a sprinkling on top, which I removed with ease.
I preferred this soup base to the Marutama soup base because it was very unique. It didn't taste strongly of chicken, but it had a comforting hearty fragrance. The slightly tangy touch made this one very appetising ramen.

I ordered an extra boiled egg for SGD1. For instructions on how to cook the perfect wobbly boiled egg, see this post from Chubby Hubby.

We also shared some interesting sides.


Braised Pork Belly (SGD6). This was tasty but rather too fatty so we didn't finish it.

Yaki Pork Belly (SGD7). I highly recommend this one. This Grilled Pork Belly was crisp on the outside yet was tender and devastatingly delicious. With a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkling of Japanese chili powder, it was sublime. DH and I were still talking about it on our way out.

Don't forget to order the cha shu as well. It was still melt-in-your-mouth tender and delicious. DH and shared an additional portion for SGD4.

DH and I, whilst waiting for our food.

We didn't have to wait very long for a table, despite the queue. 2 seats at the counter were available, but the group of 4 in front of us had to pass, and the other couple in front of us wanted a table. So we quickly grabbed the counter seats. DH and I love to sit at the counter anyway. I like to see the Japanese chefs at work, and I think they also like to be appreciated.

Doesn't DH look a little weary in the photo above? I think it was cos he was so hungry.



He looks a lot more satiated and happy in this photo!

No comments: